Furniture is used for functionality but can also add to the esthetics of your space. However, accidents can happen and your furniture may suffer the consequences. If you have young kids around, be prepared for spills, dirty shoe marks, and more.
To get the most benefit from your furniture, try to clean it as soon as there's a spill or noticeable discoloration. Once you allow stains to set in, it will be more difficult to clean. Immediate upholstery services can come to the rescue and get rid of the deepest stains and spots without damaging your furniture.
Washable Furniture Covers
If your chairs are covered with fabric that can easily be removed and cleaned, check the label for proper care. First ensure that the fabric is washable. Find out if it should be washed in hot or cold water, and the type of detergent you should use. Some common washable materials include cotton, linen nylon and polyester. If a non-washable material like wool or leather is covering your chair, seek advice on alternative stain removal methods.
Non-washable Furniture Covers
Try the following steps if your covers cannot be removed:
- Make sure you know the type of material used on your chairs.
- Try to wipe off the spill immediately.
- Select a cleaner that is specifically made for that material and apply to the stain with an applicator or a clean white cloth.
- Repeat the process, if necessary and try to avoid the spill from spreading.
- Dab with a clean cloth soaked in cold water, then dry up excess moisture.
Upholstery Cleaning Agents
There is a wide range of upholstery cleaners available. They are powerful, effective and will safely clean your furniture without damaging it. You should first know the material type and what caused the discoloration. That way you can select the most appropriate if you ever get a furniture stain again.
Dos and Don'ts
Before taking on such a project on your own, ensure you are aware of the dos and don'ts.
- Do remove excess particles.
- Do test an area first and see the changes after a few minutes.
- Do use the selected cleaner and follow manufacturer's guidelines.
- Don't soak the fabric.
- Don't leave the stain to set in your fabric.
If your recommended home remedies do not work, contact the experts in upholstery cleaning. Take the correct steps to lift those stains. For more information or assistance, contact services like Bob Arkus Custom Upholstery Inc.